Three Lessons From Getting Hacked On Instagram As a Small Business
Our YummmmBar Instagram account got hacked in August of 2023. Today, we're sharing our story that highlights what this means for our community, two ways you can take action today, and the lessons we learned along the way.
This story isn't just about online security. It's about the softer side of resilience, the power of community, and the importance of knowing when to take a step back.
Challenges may come our way, but they often hold hidden lessons and opportunities for growth. Sometimes, letting go and allowing things to be is the best course of action.
And never underestimate the support and empathy you can find in unexpected places, especially online.
Losing Our Instagram Account Felt Like A Hard Loss. Here’s Why.
To be transparent, this hit hard for us because one of the intentions of Yummmm!Bar was to create a space for community.
It was never about the number of followers; our Instagram was a place that held memories and milestones from the beginning of Yummmm!Bar.
- Memories captured at the farmers' markets + events
- Kids growing up with Yummmm!Bar snacks,
- Real connections that were made in the last 5 years…
The photographic evidence of this community was all gone in a matter of moments.
What This Means For You
We are so grateful for your support and want to make sure that we never lose touch with you, no matter what happens on social media. Here are two things you can do in the next two minutes to stay connected:
- Get on our email list to make sure that you are always updated on our latest flavors, exclusive discounts, and where we’ll be each month with farmers’ markets and pop up locations.
- Follow our NEW Instagram account @yummmmbar.
We appreciate your support and look forward to keeping our connection strong.
How Our Instagram Got Hacked
I uploaded a video I originally created for Shark Tank. An agreement from them prohibits me from mentioning anything about going on their show. It’s been years now and I did not get selected.
I posted the content, and then shortly after, I got a message on Instagram stating that I had copyright infringement.
I freaked out. Panic set in.
I pulled over my car to look into it real quick to see which post they were talking about. They told me I had to click this link to submit my case…
…and that's how I got hacked.
I assumed they were having me log in again for extra security.
At that moment, our business account was gone.
When I put in a ticket for Instagram support, they couldn’t even find my account because the hacker made it look like YummmmBar never existed.
Even though I never got my original account back, something really beautiful happened…
3 Lessons Learned From Getting Hacked on Instagram
I recorded a video and shared my story about getting hacked on Instagram and a lot of people sent me really heartfelt messages.
And that helped me not to be embarrassed by it because I felt supported, not stupid.
It can happen to anyone.
The hacker tried to negotiate with me to get the account back, but I didn’t play with that.
Instead, I sat with it. I didn’t want to create a page right away and freak out and do it all over again.
A month later, I decided to change my new Instagram account name (_yummmmbar) to what it was originally (yummmmbar).
And it worked!
It ended up being a major blessing in disguise.
I regained control of my account name, but I also gained something else…
Lesson #1: I needed to take a break from it all, even though it hurt.
My body was already telling me to take a break; I felt like I was running on empty.
It was so nice to take a break from it all, even though it hurts so much to think about all the content that got put into it, the time, the milestones, and everything.
But this also gave me a way of elevating and up leveling myself and the business.
Lesson #2: There is a reason outside our understanding.
We don’t always see the full picture in the moment. Sometimes we have to let go and just let it be.
I could have easily just freaked out and dwelled in the loss. It was not a fun space to be in, so I acknowledged that and then moved on.
Lesson #3: Cultivate a support system.
Being able to share about this experience, and receiving an incredible amount of support has been a true gift. I hope that my experience will be able to help you or others stay protected, too.
What to do to stay protected?
There are three steps we’ll be taking to keep our account and our memories protected.
- Change your password on a regular basis. Regularly updating your password is a simple yet effective way to enhance your account's security and prevent unauthorized access.
- Use Two-Factor Authentication. This adds an extra layer of protection by requiring a secondary verification step, such as a code sent to your mobile device, when logging in.
- Get Instagram insurance. Consider exploring Instagram's security features and tools to safeguard your account against potential threats and recover it more easily in case of unforeseen issues.
Thank You For Supporting Our Small Business
YummmmBar’s journey through the challenges of a hacked Instagram account has been a rollercoaster of emotions, from the initial devastation to the eventual triumph of regaining our account name and the necessary mindset shifts that made us stronger along the way.
Through this experience, we never lost sight of what is most important: YOU, our community.
To ensure that we never lose touch, we invite you to take two simple steps that will keep us connected:
- Join Our Email List: By subscribing, you'll stay updated on our latest flavors, exclusive discounts, and upcoming appearances at farmers' markets and pop-up locations.
- Follow Our NEW Instagram Account: Connect with us @yummmmbar to continue enjoying our journey and our delicious, healthy snacks.
Your support has been our anchor.
Thank you for being a part of our story, and we look forward to sharing many more delicious moments with you!